RCSEd in collaboration with the Surgical Skills Centre
This is an intensive 2 day hands on course, taking place in the Surgical Skills Centre, Dundee that emphasises the surgical anatomy of abdomen and thorax, safe practice of surgery and pitfalls. The course covers abdominal and thoracic emergency surgery as applied to general surgeons. The target audience is ST3 and above.
There is a high tutor to participant ratio, full access to cadavers (one for every 2 participants), staplers and energy devices.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to perform the following procedures under supervision:
- Exploratory laparotomy
- Exposure of inferior vena cava and abdominal aorta
- Distal pancreatectomy
- Distal gastrectomy
- Open cholecystectomy
- Exposure of common bile duct
- Mobilisation and packing of liver
- Surgical control of bleeding duodenal ulcer
- Thoracotomy (left, right, clamshell, thoraco-abdominal)
- Exposure of oesophagus and repair of stabbed heart and lung
Full fee: £955
RCSEd Fellows/Members: £915
The University of Dundee is currently the leading centre in the UK using Thiel embalmed cadavers, thanks to the pioneering work of its Centre of Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID.) for more information on our Thiel courses.