This course has been awarded 6 CPD Points
“The faculty were friendly and approachable.”
Previous course delegate
This is a one day hands-on cadaveric course that will cover orthopaedic surgical skills in arthroscopic ACL reconstruction on Thiel embalmed human cadavers, giving a more realistic operating room experience.
With presentations kept to a minimum, most of the day is spent practicing skills.
Aimed at ST3—ST6 Orthopaedic trainees and SAS grades who would like to gain experience in ACL reconstruction. Numbers are limited to 10 delegates with 2 delegates for every operating site.
Experience with knee arthroscopy skills
Aims and objectives:
To provide training in the principles of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Both medial hamstring and bone-patellar tendon-bone techniques will be taught, practiced and evaluated.
On completion the delegates should be able to:
- Identify the indications for ACL reconstruction.
- Performed the following surgical skills: medial hamstring tendon graft harvesting & preparation, ACL reconstruction using hamstring tendon graft, bone patellar tendon-bone graft harvesting & preparation, ACL reconstruction using bone-patellar tendon-bone graft
Orthopaedic training curriculum areas relevant to this course
- Medial hamstring tendon graft harvesting & preparation (4-strand Semitendinosus & Gracilis tendon graft)
- ACL reconstruction using hamstring tendon graft (using Endobutton (or similar) and tibial interference screw)
- Trans-tibial technique, medial portal technique demonstrations
- Bone patellar tendon-bone graft harvesting & preparation
- ACL reconstruction using bone-patellar tendon-bone graft (using interference screws)
- Q&A session
Online learning material will be sent to the delegates before the course to facilitate pre-course study.
Delegate to faculty ratio: 2 to 1.
- Mr. David Nicoll, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, NHS Tayside (course convener)
- Mr. Richard Buckley, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, NHS Tayside
Delegate and faculty assessment. Procedural based assessment offered for delegates.
Course Fee - £495 - [£450 for bookings by 15th February 2016.]
The University of Dundee is currently the leading centre in the UK using Thiel embalmed cadavers, thanks to the pioneering work of its Centre of Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID.) for more information on our Thiel courses.