This is a newly developed laparoscopic hysterectomy course using Thiel human cadavers. This 2 day course is aimed at Senior Trainees and Consultants who have already achieved some competency in gynaecological laparoscopy. The operative programme will cover a wide range of techniques including laparoscopic suturing and ‘hands on’ experience with laparoscopic total and supracervical (subtotal) hysterectomy with the opportunity to interact with experts. This course is aimed at ST5 and above.
· Dr Patrick Chien, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School (course director)
· Dr Tkacz Zbigniew, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
· Dr Chu Lim, Fife
· Dr Benjie Tang, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
· Dr Refaat Youssef, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
- Laparoscopic intracorporeal suturing and knotting skills
- Laparoscopic extracorporeal knotting techniques
- Practice on laparoscopic closure of virginal cuff
- Techniques and technologies for laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Expert session on laparoscopic total hysterectomy
- Expert session on laparoscopic supracervical (subtotal) hysterectomy
- Hands-on experience with total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) on Thiel’s cadavers
- Hands-on experience with laparoscopic assisted supracervical hysterectomy (LASH)
- Discussion with experts
This course has been awarded 12 CPD points by RCSEd.
The University of Dundee is currently the leading centre in the UK using Thiel embalmed cadavers, thanks to the pioneering work of its Centre of Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID.) for more information on our Thiel courses.