This course runs once a year around November time.
Our well-established laparoscopic hysterectomy course is delivered using a series of step-by-step demonstrations, followed by hands-on sessions using thiel human cadavers. The delegates are supervised and tuition is provided throughout the course by expert surgeons.. This 2 day course is aimed at ST5+ and Consultants who have already achieved some competency in gynaecological laparoscopy. The operative programme will cover a wide range of techniques including laparoscopic suturing and ‘hands on’ experience with laparoscopic total hysterectomy (TLH) on human cadavers.
- Dr Chu Lim, NHS Fife, Scotland (Course Director)
- Dr Lucky Saraswat, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Scotland
- Dr Omar Thanoon, NHS Fife, Scotland
- Dr Benjie Tang, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
- Dr Refaat Youssef, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School
- Port placement for laparoscopic suturing
- Laparoscopic intracorporeal suturing and knotting skills
- Laparoscopic extracorporeal knotting techniques
- Practice on laparoscopic closure of virginal cuff
- Amputation of uterine body and morcellation of uterus
- Haemostatic energy: monopolar diathermy, bipolar diathermy, harmonic scalpel
- Techniques and technologies for laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Expert session on laparoscopic total hysterectomy
- Expert session on laparoscopic supracervical (subtotal) hysterectomy
- Hands-on experience with total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) on Thiel’s cadavers
- Discussion with experts
This course has been awarded 12 CPD points by RCSEd.
The University of Dundee is currently the leading centre in the UK using Thiel embalmed cadavers, thanks to the pioneering work of its Centre of Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID.) for more information on our Thiel courses.